In many cases, if a minor feels they are financially independent or their parents or legal guardians are unsuitable for fostering a healthy and safe home life, the minor can petition for emancipation. Emancipation is when a minor petitions to be legally recognized as an adult who is free from parental control. Along with personal information like name, age, and residence, the petitioner must also give reasons for why emancipation is the right course of action.

This can be a very intimidating process and you need experienced legal support before making this decision. If you or someone you know is considering emancipation, contact the Conroe family law attorneys of Garg & Associates, P.C., at 281-362-2865 to discuss your legal options with a professional.

Requirements for Petition

In the state of Texas, someone can petition for emancipation if he or she is 17 years of age, or if he or she is 16 years of age and financially independent. In the legal petition, the minor must state the following:

  • The petitioner’s name, age, and residency
  • Name and residency for each living parent or guardian
  • The name and place of residence of the managing conservator
  • Reasons for why the emancipation would be in the best interest of the minor
  • The purpose of the request

The petitioner is required to file the petition in the same county in which he or she lives. If the petition is approved by the court, the minor will be legally recognized as an adult.

Contact Us

If you have any questions concerning emancipation, contact the Conroe family law attorneys of Garg & Associates, P.C., at 281-362-2865. You do not have to go through this process alone. Call today to learn how we can help you.

firm info  |  practice areas  |  articles  |  faqs  |  blog  |  contact us  |  resources  |  Find us on Google+  |   Log in  |  Site Map

Garg & Associates, PC | 21 Waterway Avenue, Suite 300 | The Woodlands, Texas 77380 Please call 281-362-2865 | Fax: 866-743-4506
Serving The Woodlands, Spring, Houston, Conroe, Kingwood, Tomball, Cypress, Huntsville, Cleveland, Stafford, Montgomery County, Harris County, West Oaks, Memorial, Sugar
Land, River Oaks, Alief, Stafford, Missouri City, and Southwest Houston Texas.