Spring Actions against Credit Reporting Agencies Lawyers

Sometimes in the course of debt management negotiations, actions may need to be taken against a credit reporting agency. If you have disputed an erroneous entry on your credit report and the credit reporting agency does not remove it or provide documentation that validates the entry, you may need legal counsel to force them to act.

Claims under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) come with a very strict statute of limitations. If you think you may need to file a claim, it is imperative that you contact Smith and Garg immediately.
Under the FCRA, the consumer has several rights as follows:

  • You have the right to know why you have been denied credit, insurance, employment or anything else determined by your credit report. The company that denied you must provide you with information that includes which credit reporting company provided the credit report and their reasons for the denial.
  • You have the right to view your own credit report. A credit reporting agency may require ID but they are not allowed to bar you from seeing your own credit report.
  • You have the right to request a credit score. A credit score is a number that summarizes your credit worthiness. The different credit reporting agencies use different scales to determine your score.
  • You have the right to dispute erroneous entries. If an entry on your credit report is incomplete or inaccurate, you can dispute it and ask for it to be removed. The credit reporting agency has a specific window of time during which they must either remove the entry or provide documentation that illustrates its validity.
  • You have the right to expect only current information to be included in your credit file. If a credit reporting agency uses outdated information resulting in adverse consequences, you can fight it.
  • You have the right to privacy. Only companies and individuals with a valid reason are allowed to view your credit report. Details within FCRA specify who has a valid need for this information. When dealing with employers, you must specifically provide permission.
  • When your FCRA rights have been violated, you need legal representation and you need it quickly. The statute of limitations for FCRA claims is very short and the clock starts ticking at the time of the infraction not when you discover the violation. There may be special circumstances that can extend the allowed time of action and your attorney can determine if your situation allows for an extension.

firm info  |  practice areas  |  articles  |  faqs  |  blog  |  contact us  |  resources  |  Find us on Google+  |   Log in  |  Site Map

Garg & Associates, PC | 21 Waterway Avenue, Suite 300 | The Woodlands, Texas 77380 Please call 281-362-2865 | Fax: 866-743-4506
Serving The Woodlands, Spring, Houston, Conroe, Kingwood, Tomball, Cypress, Huntsville, Cleveland, Stafford, Montgomery County, Harris County, West Oaks, Memorial, Sugar
Land, River Oaks, Alief, Stafford, Missouri City, and Southwest Houston Texas.